A knitter, writer, computer nerdette, owned by one cat and one terrier, trying to conquer her inner packrat.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Political Orthodoxy

I read people who write about Republicans and conservatives as though we were some monolithic, consistent group; yet it is the liberals and Democrats who seem to demand much more political orthodoxy from their members. For example, a Republican can admit to being pro-choice — and many are ... but for a Democrat to admit the slightest qualms about abortion at any stage of pregnancy is unthinkable.

Perhaps it is a matter of not being able to see any nuance. For example, as a former reporter, I am hardly in favor of censorship — yet the liberals say that anything done to stem the tidal wave of pornography and filth inundating us would be tantamount to destroying freedom of the press. Excuse me, but I just don't see it.

Our intellectual freedom doesn't depend on having porn piped into our houses, completely unregulated, on radio and television - airways that, in fact, do belong to "we the people". Does that mean they should be open to all manner of vileness just because one tenth of one percent of the population practises a certain perversion?

Oh, yes, I can hear it now. "Blue nose. Puritan." Hardly. I suspect that many of those who might come up with such epithets probably think that most of the porn that's flooding into homes and offices and even schools is like Playboy, maybe a little racier. Have I got news for you .... At the risk of disgusting yourself, you should do a little research before you call me a blue nose - what you may see may cause you to toss your cookies.

No comments: