Now, on to the weekend. How bad could it be, you ask?
Well, try this - stayed up late prepping the baked beans; cost of beans and salt pork and other ingredients $13.09, plus disposable chafing dish $12.88. Then put them up for the night, tried to sleep and the house was overheated as the result of having the oven on, slept very poorly; up at 7:30 a.m., walked dog, etc., got box to pack the pans in for transport; bought 5 packages of hamburger buns and 5 packages of hotdog buns $17.70. At 9:30 a.m. put the beans in to reheat, at 10:45 a.m. got them out and packed them in box with newspapers to cushion and insulate; cost of aluminum pans and covers $5.98; showered, dressed, carried stuff out to car, drove to Piedmont Park toll .50 cents, gas undetermined; schlepped beans, dog, buns, water and chafing dish set to site; was subjected to loud music, too much heat, approximately 20 percent of those who said they would bring food had not showed by the time I escaped; after about 1 hour 45 minutes, I nibbled on a rib and ate a bit of my beans (side dishes and dessert being among the dishes of the missing "team" members), Charlie was getting more and more skittish due to noise and my headache was escalating, so I skulked off before the party games could begin as I hate, despise and detest such activities with a passion. Parking $4.75, plus another .50 cent toll. Grand total for 2 hours of relative misery and misfittery - 6 hours of work related to preparing food and $55.40 cents in direct costs for buying and preparing and transporting the food and myself to the park. Gas costs not included. I can't afford any more "fun" or "teambuilding" like that. I feel quite built upon, thankyewverymuch. Oh, and I brought 2 drinks with me as I was sure (and that conviction was borne out) that the only drinks supplied would be sodas with HFCS in them. So add another $2.50 to the cost.
Stopped and got my veg co-op on the way home and then went home and made a sandwich and tried to lie down and rest. Feet hurting terribly. Got to sleep finally about 4 a.m. Sunday and was awake at 8:30 a.m. Sunday was awful - I had to try and get done all the things that I normally do Saturday, as well as cleaning up the beanpots and Sunday's chores. Not again. $57.90. I could have gone out and had bloody lobster and champagne for that.
A knitter, writer, computer nerdette, owned by one cat and one terrier, trying to conquer her inner packrat.
Monday, August 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment